MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Visceral Visions is seeking a Marketing & Communications Director to join our team in an organization-wide leadership role to spearhead our communications, marketing, and fund development efforts. This role will put your most creative ideas and expertise into play through the development of strategic marketing plans, social media campaigns, communications strategies, and fund development opportunities. This position will enter the organization at an exciting time as we prepare the marketing & communications campaign to promote the launch of the Engager (Employer) Portal of our web platform, CultureBrew.Art (CBA), which features a national searchable database of Indigenous and racialized artists who work in the performing, literary, and media arts, and is envisioned to increase representation and equity across the arts and cultural sector and beyond.
Hours: 22-30 hours/week, flexible scheduling
Contract Period: Starting ASAP – July 31st 2021, with possibility of extension.
Reporting: This position reports directly to Visceral Visions’ Artistic Producer and Technical Director
Application Deadline: Monday, May 10, 2021 - 12pm noon
WHO IS VISCERAL VISIONS
Visceral Visions is a Vancouver-based BC registered non-profit society whose mandate is to champion diverse provocative voices that struggle to be heard in an increasingly homogenized world through the media of artistic expression, and to promote and foster Indigenous and racialized Canadian artists. In addition to developing interdisciplinary artistic work, Visceral Visions has also developed an initiative called CultureBrew.Art, a web platform envisioned to promote and foster intersectional interculturalism, building connection, collaboration, and community in the Canadian arts and culture sector. Its central tool is a searchable database of Indigenous and racialized artists who work in the performing and media arts – writers, directors, performers, filmmakers, designers, choreographers, composers, etc. – to which engagers may access as subscribers.
OUR COMMITMENT TO ANTI-OPPRESSION AND DECOLONIZATION
The work we do is a potent mix of visceral storytelling, advocacy, and professional development. As an organization dedicated to inciting intersectional interculturalism in the arts, we are strongly committed to embodying anti-oppression and decolonization values in all facets of our work. We strive to consciously address systemic inequality as an integral aspect of our artistic practice, using art to build awareness and empathy as we illuminate how the intersection of race with all other oppressions deeply impacts the world today. It is at the heart of these intersections where artists, as agents-of-change, must ask the hard questions that spark inspiration, introspection, compassion, clarity, and ultimately, the act of creation that transforms incomprehensible human suffering into hope. At Visceral Visions, we believe that for an artistic practice to matter, to make a difference in the wider world, it's critical to support a diversity of artists, stories, and perspectives, ensuring diverse role models for youth. And that it can be done without sacrificing artistic excellence.
The Visceral Visions operations team is currently made up of 5 part-time positions: Artistic Producer, Technical Director, Financial Administrator, Community Builder, and Social Media Manager. We are proud to have racialized women in leadership roles on our board as well as on our team, and we are committed to ensuring representation and fostering leadership from among the multiple and diverse communities we serve.
HOW WE WORK
Our organizational culture is committed to collaboration, open dialogue, and mutual respect as our top priorities. In addition to this, our work culture includes:
- Working primarily remotely, and as such, a reliable and fast internet connection and effective hardware/equipment to complete your work is required
- Having access to an appropriate secure and private place where you can fully participate in meetings by video conference is also a requirement
- Highly valuing creative and critical thinking, as well as collectively sharing responsibility for the work we do
- Consistently applying a decolonization and anti-oppression lens to our work
- Championing flexibility and compassion, which encourages us to challenge our unconscious biases and assumptions, with an eye to deconstructing colonial systems of working
- Transparency, direct communication, and a commitment to collaborative conflict resolution
- Compassion and care for one another
- Working toward enacting systems that support Work-Life balance.
This position will be responsible for communications, marketing, and creative fund development initiatives of the organization, with CultureBrew.Art being a large portion of the portfolio. This position will be expected to lead the roll-out of a marketing and communications strategy with a variety of campaigns to create awareness about Visceral Visions, CultureBrew.Art, and other projects targeting artists, engagers, the arts community at large, arts supporters and audiences; further developing and modifying the Visceral Visions social media plan and working with our Social Media Manager to put it into action; managing development of marketing materials, including design materials and collateral; a media and press strategy to build awareness about Visceral Visions’ programs and projects, including CultureBrew.Art; and supporting any related fund development opportunities as required. This role will be best filled by a self-starting entrepreneurial leader with initiative. As the position requires working from home, the contractor selected will be expected to provide their own laptop and software to complete their work. We will accept Canadian applicants that are located anywhere in Canada.
1. Marketing & Promotions
- Developing a marketing strategy for the CultureBrew.Art Engager Portal launch
- Leading organization-wide marketing activities
- Maintaining and growing the Visceral Visions and CultureBrew.Art brands
- Continuing to work on the Visceral Visions digital marketing plan
Creating or acquiring design materials and collateral
2. Communications Plan
- Reviewing, modifying, and implementing Visceral Visions’ communications plan as required
- Drafting and managing all E-Blasts and other communications as required
- Creating a schedule for external and internal communications
- Developing sustainable and efficient systems for communications with the Visceral Visions team
- Providing ongoing and dynamic content for the company’s website and social media channels
3. Media & Press
- Building on our media and press list to garner media coverage to promote the launch of the Engager Portal and build awareness for other CultureBrew.Art activities
- Reaching out to media and press for coverage of company activities
- Booking interviews, talks, and event opportunities for Visceral Visions’ Artistic Producer and CultureBrew.Art’s Technical Director as required
4. Social Media
- Managing the Visceral Visions social media strategy
- Collaborating with the CultureBrew.Art Social Media Manager to support social media campaigns and management
- Creating, implementing, and supporting social media campaigns to build awareness about Visceral Visions, CultureBrew.Art, and other initiatives and projects under the organization’s umbrella
- Ensuring that both artist, engager, and community-at-large audiences are considered in our social media activities
- Reaching performing, literary, and media artists, and engagers across disciplines
- Analysis and Strategy
5. Fund Development Support as Needed
- Supporting fund development as opportunities present themselves
- Grant writing, fundraising, and sponsorship work as required on a team level
- Generate ideas for revenue growth for the CultureBrew.Art initiative
- Very experienced and comfortable with creating and implementing marketing and communications strategies (minimum 3-5 years of experience)
- Experience leading marketing, digital marketing and promotions campaigns in the arts sector
- Experience with fundraising, grant writing, and sponsorship development
- Comfortable with self-directed work
- Must be able to attend regular team and 1:1 weekly meetings online
- Knowledge and understanding of intersectionality, and a passion for racial equity, representation, and decolonization
- Experience and comfort working with digital tools for remote work (Slack, G-Suite, videoconferencing, teleconferencing, email)
- Knowledge of Google Ads, Facebook ads, and SEO is an asset
Visceral Visions creates and operates on the ancestral and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) nations. We are dedicated to creating artistic work and collaborative structures that reflect Indigenous and intercultural diversity. Together with our partners, we are committed to attracting and retaining BIPOC teams, particularly women of colour, who reflect the communities in which we live and work. People of colour, Indigenous peoples, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to our Associate Producer, Anju Singh. Your cover letter is an opportunity to:
- share your story;
- identify how your strengths and experiences align with this job opportunity; and
- how you fit with the organizational culture described above.