Contractor Opportunity: Marketing and Communications Specialist
Come join Visceral Visions! We are a collective of creatives on the look-out for someone to spearhead communications, marketing, and fund development efforts. It's an exciting time at Visceral Visions with this opportunity being integral in launching promotional campaigns and expanding fund development opportunities.
About Visceral Visions
Visceral Visions is a non-profit arts society based on the stolen ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) nations (Vancouver, BC). with a mandate to champion diverse provocative voices through the media of artistic expression. The work we do is a potent mix of visceral storytelling, advocacy, and professional development. Visceral Visions promotes and fosters Indigenous and racialized Canadian artists through the creation of interdisciplinary artistic projects, and has also developed CultureBrew.Art, a web platform featuring a nationwide searchable database of BIPOC artists working in Canada, envisioned to facilitate connection, diversify collaboration, and build community in the Canadian arts and culture sector and beyond.
We are a dynamic team of contractors and are proud to have racialized women in co-leadership on the Board of Directors as well as the team. We are committed to ensuring representation, fostering collaborative partnerships, and supporting leadership from among the multiple and diverse communities we serve.
About the Opportunity
The contractor will oversee communications, marketing, public relations, membership support, and creative fund development for project-based initiatives, including CultureBrew.Art. This Marketing and Communications role includes planning and leading the implementation of strategy with a variety of campaigns to create awareness about Visceral Visions, CultureBrew.Art, and other projects targeting artists, engagers, the arts community at large, art supporters and audiences. The scope of work and deliverables include:
- Updating the organization's marketing strategy
- Updating and overseeing the digital advertising strategy for Google, Facebook, and Instagram ads
- Leading marketing activities including growing the Visceral Visions and CultureBrew.Art brands
- Executing the communications plan including managing all E-blasts, scheduling external and internal messaging, providing ongoing and dynamic content for websites and social media channels
- Building membership and subscriber numbers and revenues for CultureBrew.Art
- Build the media and press list to garner media coverage as well as engaging with media/press for coverage of company activities including booking interviews/talks/event opportunities for Visceral Visions' Co-Artistic Producers
- Creating, implementing, and supporting social media campaigns
- Contribute to fundraising, idea generation for revenue growth for the CultureBrew.Art initiative and sponsorship work
What You Bring
- Experience creating and implementing marketing and communications strategies
- Experience in leading marketing (including digital marketing) and promotional campaigns in the arts sector
- Experience in working with digital remote-work platforms such as Slack, G-Suite, Video/Tele-conferencing and email
- Good understanding and knowledge of intersectionality, racial equity, representation, and decolonization
- Ability to work independently
- Analytical and strategic thinking
- Excellent verbal and written communication capacity
- Planning and organizational skills
- Self-awareness and self-management
Hours: 30-35 hours/week, primarily remote
Start Date: April XX
Contract Length: Minimum 18 months with possibility of extension
Visceral Visions Commitment to Anti-Oppression and Decolonization
We are dedicated to inciting intersectional interculturalism in the arts and are strongly committed to embodying anti-oppression and decolonization values in all facets of our work. We strive to consciously address systemic inequality as an integral aspect of our artistic practice, using art to build awareness and empathy as we illuminate how the intersection of race with all other oppressions deeply impacts the world today. It is at the heart of these intersections where artists, as agents of change, must ask the hard questions that spark inspiration, introspection, compassion, clarity, and ultimately, the act of creation that transforms incomprehensible human suffering into hope.
We are committed to working with BIPOC individuals, particularly women and non-binary folx of colour, who reflect the communities in which we live and work. Indigenous and racialized peoples, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to submit a proposal.
To be considered for this opportunity, please email your proposal including a cover letter and resume in one PDF document to: [email protected]. Consider sharing in your proposal:
- Your interest in becoming a contractor with Visceral Visions working in the capacity of a marketing and communications specialist
- Your journey and/or story as an artist
- Highlight your strengths and lived experiences related to this contractor role
Send your proposal to: [email protected]. Deadline to submit is March 13th 2023.