Contractor Opportunity: Intermediate Drupal Developer
Come join Visceral Visions! We are a collective of creatives on the look-out for someone to support Drupal development for our digital platform, CultureBrew.Art. CultureBrew.Art is at an exciting stage of growth, and we are looking for a full-time developer to support the project and organization to build out new features, upgrade the platform, and support maintenance and privacy/security work.
About Visceral Visions
Visceral Visions is a non-profit arts society based on the stolen ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) nations (Vancouver, BC). with a mandate to champion diverse provocative voices through the media of artistic expression. The work we do is a potent mix of visceral storytelling, advocacy, and professional development. Visceral Visions promotes and fosters Indigenous and racialized artists in Canada through the creation of interdisciplinary artistic projects, and has also developed CultureBrew.Art, a web platform featuring a nationwide searchable database of BIPOC artists working in Canada, with a vision to facilitate connection, diversify collaboration, and build community in the Canadian arts and culture sector and beyond.
We are a dynamic team of contractors and are proud to have racialized women in co-leadership on the Board of Directors as well as the team. We are committed to ensuring representation, fostering collaborative partnerships, and supporting leadership from among the multiple and diverse communities we serve.
About the Opportunity
The Drupal Developer contractor will lead the design, execution, and updates to the CultureBrew.Art platform. The scope of work and deliverables include:
- Developing an annual technology roadmap for upcoming technology and development work
- Developing new features in CultureBrew.Art, including reporting features, news content types, and other features as the platform expands its services to better serve its target communities
- Upgrading current features and systems
- QA testing
- Supporting design and development as appropriate, depending on skill-set
- Integrating third-party software into CultureBrew.Art
- Maintenance and support for security and privacy updates and improvements
- Working closely with data analyst to verify data and to ensure analyst reports are accurate
- Attending team meetings as requested
- Using Asana to organize work and plan projects
- Providing weekly updates to the Technical Lead on status of development work
What You Bring
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience in Drupal Development - Front and Back End
- A passion for creative problem-solving
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with experience using ticketing and project management software
- Strong attention and care for details
- Ability to work independently and manage workload to meet deliverables
- You're a self-starter who enjoys sharing ideas
- Able to apply the lens of intersectional racial equity, representation, and decolonization to technology design/development
Hours: 30-35 hours/week, primarily remote
Rate: starting at $40/hour, negotiable based on experience
Start Date: April XX
Contract Length: Minimum 18 months with possibility of extension
Visceral Visions Commitment to Anti-Oppression and Decolonization
We are dedicated to inciting intersectional interculturalism in the arts and are strongly committed to embodying anti-oppression and decolonization values in all facets of our work. We strive to consciously address systemic inequality as an integral aspect of our artistic practice, using art to build awareness and empathy as we illuminate how the intersection of race with all other oppressions deeply impacts the world today. It is at the heart of these intersections where artists, as agents of change, must ask the hard questions that spark inspiration, introspection, compassion, clarity, and ultimately, the act of creation that transforms incomprehensible human suffering into hope.
We are committed to working with BIPOC individuals, particularly women and non-binary folx of colour, who reflect the communities in which we live and work. Indigenous and racialized peoples, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to submit a proposal.
To be considered for this opportunity, please email your proposal including a cover letter and resume in one PDF document. Consider sharing in your proposal:
- Your interest in becoming a contractor with Visceral Visions working in the capacity of an Intermediate Drupal Developer
- Your journey and/or story as an artist
- Highlight your strengths and lived experiences related to this contractor role
- Share samples of your work
Send your proposal to: [email protected]. Deadline to submit is March 13th 2023.